One of my favorite things to do is find or rediscover music. Especially when it's from an artist or band I've never heard of. The excitement I get is comparable to a child receiving a gift on Christmas morning. It's a little silly and over-exaggerated but this is just one of those things.
I always like to make predictions about whether a song or artist will be a hit or not, and of course this is all my opinion. Whenever I (re)discover new music I get excited but then I see that people on the mainland have been on it for months, then I feel so put back. I guess this is one of the disadvantages of living on an island, you are somewhat detached but then I realize it's more about the journey rather than the destination anyway.
I'm still unsure if I want to make this a series or not and you may or may not have heard of these tracks that I'm about to post. If you already have, I love talking music with other music lovers.
Here are some of my favorites this week
My most recent pick-up. Shlohmo (Henry Laufer) is one of those artists that are perfect for 'personal listening' (the music you listen to by yourself). I usually do personal listening from 12AM-??? in the morning in the comfort of my bed at home. I feel it's not so distracting, just serves as background music when you're thinking, journaling, brainstorming, that kind of thing.
It's a particular taste, but I like it.
Here's more from his latest EP, "Vacation."
I really like researching new music and I love being surprised when I find an unexpected blog/website that posts these artists...for example, I found Joey BADA$$ on Urban Outfitters blog (they also have free playlists on ITunes!) This kid actor turned rapper/producer is only 17-years-old and god damn, the production on all his songs are on point. His lyricism is clever, too. He comes from a crew called Progressive Era, which is comprised of young artists and designers. VIBE Magazine was on this guy already, so definitely can't knock the hustle.
Imagine how he will be 5 years from now.
Another one that is associated with Joey BADA$$ and the Pro-Era crew is Capital STEEZ. I love his lyrics on this particular track, especially the opening line, "This goes for Mrs. What's-Her-Name" and I'm a sucker for the beat, has that love jamz feel.
Every track on Progressive Era's The "SECC$" TAP.E. features a different artist. Lovin' it so far.
Here's a free download of their mixtape
Another personal listening song...not much to say about this one. Just feel good happy music.
After Friday the 13th, Noisey uploaded this track by my personal favorites, Theophilus London and A$AP Rocky. The track is produced by DJ Carnage and DAMN, the sample and the chop-ups are so damn clean! It just makes me want to dance, cook, spend. Whatever kids do these days.
I really don't care what people say about A$AP Rocky, I am a fan of his music.
I hope these two make a mixtape.
Here's a free download of the "Big Spender" MP3
I feel like everyone's definition of "good" music is so different. I usually listen to a few tracks of an artist/band before I turn them down so I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to music. Anyway years down the line, our children, grandchildren, will think our music taste is wack, just how there's a handful of us in each generation that think our parents' or grandparents' music is wack.
Hope you enjoyed this.
No comments:
Post a Comment