Saturday, August 20, 2011

Learn.

Seriously, I do. I love learning about new and old things, especially when it comes to photography. That's another thing about graduating from college...no more school...no more classes...but of course there will be other opportunities and ways I can learn.

This past week I photographed Astronauts By Night and my best friend Shannon.

I usually don't do portraits, so it's always interesting when I do get the chance to do them. It's always interesting and I always learn more about my photography and my style when I do so.



I had an assistant this time (thank you thank you shutterbug) and he helped me out with his external flash. We were able to create a handful of 'epic' photos. The one above was the money maker. It was really strange looking at my screen and seeing this image, kind of like an out-of-body experience. Especially showing it to Chuco, whose seen my photography develop from the very start when I got my first DSLR. 

Flash photography is difficult. It took me awhile to get used to the lighting and trying to configure the flashes. I usually like to use natural lighting and if I do use flash, it's for my light streaks. I wish I had more equipment because the final product is crazy. Lighting is so important, especially in portraits. Usually when I'm doing events, the focus point is just to get a great shot of movement while portraits or 'lifestyle' shoots are more concentrated on posing or something more specific. I can't wait to learn more about it.

Yesterday, I spent my last day with my best friend Shannon (she was leaving to go back to school on the mainland) and usually we do a shoot whenever she comes back home. We didn't really have a direction or style we wanted to do, it was just her enjoying her last day at home till winter.





I had lots of fun editing these photos. I've been trying out different editing methods and techniques, trying to find my style I guess. 

I usually don't do a lot of editing. Only a few tweaks here and there, but nothing too drastic so this was different for me. It is crazy though how different the photo comes out and how the effects can change the mood of the photo.

Like the one right above for example, Shannon was having a lot of fun just kind of posing and I think the edited colors made it more vibrant that went with her mood and the state of the photo.

I definitely can't wait to do more portrait shoots. Only if people are patient with me though because every day I'm still learning about this craft :)

No comments:

Post a Comment