Monday, July 25, 2011

Long Weekend

I am exhausted and I'm pretty sure my camera is too. Luckily my index finger hasn't been cramping or anything. This past weekend, I shot No Suck Fest over the course of three days and damn was it a learning experience. I've never done anything like this before and it was challenging because I had to come up with new ways to keep my photos interesting and unique since there were so many photographers at the show and for my own sanity.

Day One
I decided to take my lensbaby out for the night. I didn't use it much but I loved the effects that it gave my photos. Kind of like a streaky blur, which I really like. I realize that this lens might not be the best for night time haha.

There was a huge potluck outside of Mercury Bar, along with friends and bands mingling and what not. I got to talk camera lenses with the ever-so popular Michael Keany. It's always fun and interesting to learn about how other photographers take their photos and what kind of equipment, techniques they have.


Day Two
Before heading over to Chinatown to meet up with my friends, Gumz & The Night Marchers, I got to go to Christmas Tree Park (heard so much things about this place but never actually went) in Kaimuki. It was very hot and I get irritable fast when this happens so I just quickly got a few shots and left for the hotel. It was very dry up there but the weather was nice and the view was also nice. I have a hunch that it's better at night though.


Here's the view from the Executive Center hotel. I really like it because it's not your typical Waikiki view. I almost felt like I was in a different state. I go to school in Chinatown so it was interesting to see a different perspective of what you see every day.


Finally headed over to Anna's (I still can't get used to it being Anna O'Briens). It was really early, the show started at 4pm. I don't particularly like shooting over here because the walls are really dark and I can't really bounce my flash off them (must bring index card next time, thanks for the tip Chuco <3) but since it was day time and all the windows were open, I didn't need the flash.


I really love the lighting of this one. I seriously grow more in love with my 50mm prime every day. It's so versatile and fast! I heard that it's automatic focus tends to break but I actually wouldn't mind if mine did, I use manual focus all the time anyway.



Haha, gotta love branding and third grader smiles. Special thanks to Annie for letting me take her photo a bunch. I love her style and I really enjoy having conversations with her on Twitter and in real life :) She is such a cool gal.

Day Three
The last day's venue was moved from the Loft to Next Door. I love going to venues when there's different genres performing. I usually come to Next Door for hip-hop shows and it's nice to see how versatile the venue can be. I think this day's show really felt like the festival because everyone was running around Chinatown, especially between Next Door and Downbeat Diner because there were bands constantly playing and when we heard that Grapefruit wasn't playing (what a bummer, would've liked to see them play, it's been a couple years), a lot of people were bummed but were relieved at the same time because it gave everyone a chance to eat. One of my favorite memories is Gumz shouting in Downbeat, "FALSE CRACK GOES ON IN 10 MINUTES!" like it was a big production. 


 Eroc Faka of False Crack


Christian (also keyboardist of PIMPBOT)


The beautiful Andrea Dolores, hair/beauty extraordinaire


Michael Keany modeling, I wonder if he posed intentionally?


Pretty much my favorite photo of Shawn Shits, graphic designer & No Suck Fest staff

After Mean Jeans finished, the boys, Kristen and I headed back to the hotel to rest up before the after party. Lots of funny quotes were made and I'm just so happy that they got a hotel for this weekend. I think I would have died.

Before heading to Mercury Bar, we stopped by the Loft to check out the open cypher they were having. There wasn't that much people because Love Fest was going on but that didn't stop anyone from having fun. Snapped a couple of shots, I'm still trying to figure out my feelings about this venue. I don't particularly like the smell of it and the lighting is really hard to work with but I'm sure it'll grow on me.



DJ Yogurt



Finally arrived at Mercury Bar, just in time for PIMPBOT. Their shows are always guaranteed a fun time so I quickly got a few photos and put my camera away to dance. It was a great way to finish the night and a fun set to close up No Suck Fest 2011. 



I feel for the No Suck Fest staff, they worked so hard and it paid off! It was a huge success and I think everyone appreciates them for doing this. Much mahalos to you guys, rest up now haha!

I can wait for No Suck Fest 2012 but I am very excited to see the next line-up they're going to have. The three days was pretty killahs but it was great practice and now I can say that I've shot the same event three days in a row!

I tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment