Friday, June 17, 2011

honozooloo (Aaron Yoshino)

When I was looking at Flux last month in Borders, I came across Aaron's ad for his photo exhibition at the beautiful Hotel Renew located in Waikiki. I was stoked and quickly texted him, scolding him for not telling me.

I've been following honozooloo since high school now and I never would have thought that I would actually meet him and he would share his tips with me as my mentor. I remember meeting him at Fresh Cafe at the Pnoy Apparel's Shirt The Kids event and pointing out his camera strap. I had the same strap, just in a different color. He must've thought I was weird but luckily when I messaged him a couple months later asking if I could shadow him when he went out shooting, he remembered me (ahhh the benefits of being socially awkward).


I like Hotel Renew but I honestly don't think the space did his photos justice. I guess I'm used to exhibits being on a plain white wall all in a row but I feel that you can focus more on the work that way. The photos were in different parts of the lobby (obviously) but it felt really...jumpy (I don't know a better word to explain it). I think the most impressive setup was the lightning photo in the window to give you the illusion that you're looking outside (go and you'll see what I mean).

His exhibit will be up at Hotel Renew till July 15th so please go see it! If you're interested in purchasing, click the link! Congratulations Aaron!

I could go on about how amazing his work (not just his photos but his designs, etc.) but of course I'll let his photos speak for themselves.



No comments:

Post a Comment