Saturday, June 18, 2011

Fat Girl Status


Once a week at J2 Asian Fusion restaurant (right next to JJ's French Pastry) they have a pop up restaurant called Addis Ababa, which features Ethiopian food (insert jokes here). There's a food group here called epicrewfoodies that meet every Thursday to go eat. This event was hosted by them and was featured on Yelp so ThomasOhhh and I decided to check it out (who the fuck would miss out on trying Ethiopian food?!)

Be patient with me because most of the time I did not know what the fuck I was eating.


The appetizers reminded me a lot of lumpia haha. They gave you two rolls, one was lentils (chalky texture) and the other one was chicken with some kind of vegetable in it (this was a lot better tasting) and the sauces was apparently tomato sauce (but it tasted like apple sauce with cinnamon) and the other one was like the Greek tzatziki sauce they give with gyros. Really yummy and cripsy!


ThomasOhhh ordered lamb tibs and I didn't want to get the same thing as him so I decided to just go all out and try their beef wot, which was hella spicy. It wasn't so spicy to the point where I couldn't taste the flavors and I did manage to eat it all but the whole time I was breathing in and out like I was pregnant and kept drinking water. ThomasOhhh's food was really yummy, shit should've ordered that!

The flavors were pungent, probably cause of the saffron. There's a shit ton of vegetables on it, Yelp's Emi Hart and I decided that our favorite was the potatoes with bits of parsley on it. There's also beets and a nice little salad.

We waited of an hour for our food and by the time the food came, I was starving.


Now with Ethiopian food, you are not given any utensils. The whole point is to eat with your hands. One of the nice people who was a part of our group ate Ethiopian food before so she showed us the ropes.

She said the best way to eat it is to pick it up with injera, which was the spongey-pancake-crepe like bread they give you. Don't touch the food, just touch it with the injera.

This itself was a challenge but nonetheless, challenge accepted.


To finish off our Ethiopian meal we were graced with JJ's Special Cake, which was a small...very small piece of chocolate cake. I honestly don't care for JJ's and the cake tasted like refrigerator but it went nicely with the Ethiopian coffee they gave us.


Oh my god this coffee is amazing. Surprisingly it tastes very similar to Liliha Bakery's coffee and I thought it was going to be a very dark roast but it was delicious. She kind of coffeepressed it where she put the beans in the kettle and put some hot water and let it boil. I tried asking the lady if she sold the beans but she said maybe in the future.


Here's the epicrewfoodies + Yelpers.

Overall it was great learning experience and now I can cross off my bucket list that I ate Ethiopian food. In the end the meal was about $32 (plus tip & tax) I think it was because we were in a group. I don't think it was worth it but because there was 10+ of us, the price made sense. I would definitely like to come back and see what else is on the menu.

I decided I was still hungry so I went to Liliha Bakery afterwards. I've decided that Liliha Bakery is my go-to place. I love the food here and this diner set up restaurant has so many childhood memories for me.

Oh yes, I love you butter roll & homemade jelly. Crisp on the outside, moist in the inside, and most importantly buttery all over :)


ThomasOhhh and I love the coffee here. It's fuckin' PERFECT. We skip class sometimes to eat here just to indulge in this amazing food.


I used to wonder why my mom would order this when I was younger but I didn't really grow real appreciation for it until this year. It's like a Filipino omelette. I swear to god they put patis in here.


Mmmm loco moco.


Alright sorry for the food porn. Kind of went fat girl with this post. Sorry ah! I love my food.

Finally compiled a set on Flickr dedicated to food porn. Check it out :)

1 comment: