Sunday, June 12, 2011

The funny thing about it

I feel that any skill that you pick up is a constant journey of trial and error. Sometimes you're alone on this journey but it's always nice to have others who know exactly what you're going through. I'd have to say that photography and graphic design have been the only creative outlets that I've truly been passionate about and have stuck with over the past years.

When I was younger, my mom signed me up for multiple activities: ballet, hula, Tahitian, violin, piano, singing lessons, the list goes on. Sadly, the only thing I really stuck with was ballet and I dedicated 11 years of my life to it. Ballet took priority over school (what?!?!) and I basically had no social life outside of it. I met a handful of friends through ballet that I still talk to today. One of them, Stephanie, has been one of my best friends since I was 7 years old. We always like to reminisce about how we were troublemakers back at Hawaii State Ballet and how we always got scoldings for being too talkative. When we're feeling up to it, we'll go ahead and try make our not-so-limber bodies do those complicated ballet moves (eh, still can!). I do miss it, and thanks to ballet, it has fucked up my technique so strict and uptight to the point where I can't even do other dance styles.

Anyway, back to photography and graphic design.

I was looking through my friends MANY social media sites and I had an epiphany. I am lucky that two of my best friends ThomasOhhh & Nikki are also interested in these fields. Of course, we have different perspectives on things we view and we all specialize in different things. Sometimes I'll look at their photos,designs, articles, etc. and ALL I can think to myself is, "DAMN, these are my FRIENDS and they're so fucking talented!" We're very honest when it comes to our work and whenever I'm designing or editing, I always look to them for their opinion. It's such a relief to know that you really aren't alone when it comes to being all stressed and shit. I'm so grateful that I have these talented people in my life. Because we know each other so well and know where we came from, I love that I can watch them grow and they're there to watch me grow not just through creative outlets, but as a person.


1 comment: