Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The law of attraction.

After the craziness of 808 SPEAKERBOX, I feel like I can finally breathe. The event was a success and it came out better than I could ever imagine. If you haven't peeped the video that my friend Jeremiah of Variant Films put together (with the help of videographers Philip of Supreme Video Productions, Chris Balidio & Tina Jo), you're missing out!

I won't give away too much but I am planning on doing future shows :) (ahem, BLU)

School started up this week and I've been trying to savor all the free time I still have left. If you guys remember,  I had rented a Canon 1N, a film SLR, and it basically got me fixated on the idea of actually OWNING a film SLR. After making it one of my New Year's resolutions and waiting around for the perfect time to buy one, my good friend and mentor Aaron passed down his Canon Elan to me. The roll I have in there right now can only be developed at certain places or by my own hands so I'm taking my time with it. 

I remember a couple of months ago I had picked up "The Secret" after hearing good things about it from Thomas and Nicole. I read it, thought it was a bunch of bullshit and sold it. It wasn't only till recently I really started seeing the whole point of the 'law of attraction.' To me, it's kind of similar to the whole idea of when things/people come to you when you least expect it. When I was looking for a film SLR, I couldn't find a good deal or a camera I wanted, but when I started getting busy and became distracted with everything else, that's when the SLR popped in my hands.

I brushed it off. It was just coincidence.

Yesterday, I hung out with my friend Darren who also is a very talented artist who made our 808 SPEAKERBOX posters and buttons, and he was enlightening me about his idol, Johnny Cupcakes since I had missed his lecture (still kicking myself for that). Darren has this beautiful '51 Chevy that he's been fixing up and I asked him how he got it cause I knew he wanted one for awhile. He told me he just could never find a good deal so he focused his energy on his Camaro he had at the time. Then he found the Chevy on Craigslist, sold the Camaro and bought the Chevy the same day. I pointed out to him that his story right there was a good example of the law of attraction.

I feel like once you notice it, it keeps popping up everywhere. I'm a very passionate and determined person, when I want something, I will figure out a way to get it. I guess this is where that saying about, 'you didn't want it bad enough' comes in. 

So yeah, I guess I believe the bullshit now haha.

I got the chance to play around with a Nikon N6006, a film SLR last week and thanks to the good people at Hawaii Photo Rental, I was able to buy film that I could develop at Longs. Thomas got to play around with it too, I still need to practice haha.

Here's Thomas' photos.


CLEARY, Thomas has more experience with film than me hahah. Love his photos and how they came out. Even the one of me stuffing my face.

Here are the photos I took


Photos I took at the DUMBFOUNDEAD show

It was crazy trying to hold my DSLR along with the Nikon SLR, I seriously need a better bag for all of my shit.

The DUMBFOUNDEAD show was something else. Seriously, so proud to be a part of the growing Hawaii hip-hop scene. Word up to Bone for making this happen.





 DJ Zo with DUMBFOUNDEAD



Broke Mokes and I. Love these fakas.


Seriously stoked for what's to come this year. The first two hip-hop shows were amazing and filled with new faces. 2012 is going to be great for Hawaii hip-hop.

No comments:

Post a Comment