Friday, August 12, 2011

Must learn to say no

My oh my have I been busy. I really need to learn and get into the habit and saying no to people when they ask me to join in on their projects. It's not even an egotistical/diva thing, it's more like...I need to finish school and I got my own shit to worry about.

As much as I would love to say yes to everyone and everything, I got a sit-down talk from someone very dear to me who told me that I really needed to stop. On that note, last week I interviewed with a potential employer and I got the job. The wage was awesome and of course I needed the money but I'm the type of person that if I get bad vibes about something, I pull out (insert that's what she said here). I got the vibe with this job. After talking about it with several people, I realized that I wouldn't even have time for a part-time job. With my last semester starting, there are more responsibilities on the newspaper staff than ever and I'm still trying to figure out my photojournalism class. On top of that, I would like to still update my site by covering events. With all of this on my plate, there is no way that someone would want to hire me with my horrible schedule. I talked to my mom about it and she agreed that school should be my top priority. I sent in my resignation letter before I could even really start the job. After I did that, I felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders, like I could breathe again.

We just had the newspaper meeting the other day and there are some massive changes being made to the staff list. We are no longer working off of 4 editors, but rather the main editors + section editors. The main editors have double duty, for example not only am I the photo editor, but I'll also be the lifestyles section editor. It was a productive meeting, figured out what we were going to do and it just made me realize that shit, more responsibilities. Luckily there is a way that we can kind of depend on each other that way we're not necessarily fucked if something happens, which is nice.

Also, Kristen of Sweet Lychee Productions and I are finally collaborating on an event that we feel will be HUGE. It's called 808 SPEAKERBOX and it's pretty much our baby.

We've gotten some awesome feedback and advice, especially from one of our favorites, SuperCW. We had lunch with her today and I learned so much within that little time. It was also nice to sit down and talk with her since every time I see her, we're always at an event.

I can't even begin to express how thankful and grateful I am about how much support we're getting behind this project. I can't wait to see the final product :)

I've been to a few events this past week, one of them being the new in4mation store on Nu'uanu & Pauahi St. in Chinatown. I covered the soft opening for Contrast and was impressed with the event. It's awesome to see "The Human Imagination" really developing.








Not really sure when the grand opening is but follow in4mants to stay updated.

The Foodies decided to take a trip to Uncle Bo's because ThomasOhhh was craving Bocca Rotta. So yummy.






I would put captions to what they are but instead I'll link to my review.

Another event I got to go to was VINYL. DJs left their computers at home and used only vinyl. I really hope they do this again because it was really fun and the music was just...amazing. The music ranged from house to hip-hop and even drum & bass.


 La Cutie & DJ Revise


Check out La Cutie

Be prepared for another blog post coming in a few dayzzzzz.

1 comment: