Saturday, June 4, 2011

Big things are coming

I don't even know where to begin with this post. I held out for awhile, rejected a few internships because there was one in particular I was waiting for...Contrast Magazine. I had emailed them my resume a couple weeks back but hadn't heard from them until Thursday morning.


I love that feeling. Waking up, checking my phone, seeing a voice mail, listening to it and realizing that Daniel, Contrast's editor, wants to interview me.


I headed to Fresh Café to meet up with him and Lance, the photo editor. I was pretty nervous, because this was the ONE I was waiting for. I got my favorite guava Italian soda, by the way I love the new menus and now the workers there wear white button-down tshirts with black ties, very classy, and waited. 


They were really cool and laid-back, nothing too intense, which really calmed my nerves. I felt comfortable with them, which I think was the important part and when they were going over the internship and what they do with Contrast, I was seriously just falling in love with the opportunity. They decided to give me a trial run by taking photos on behalf of them at Red Bull's BPM Launch Party at Next Door (two nights in a row? Lucky me). 


After annihilating my pesto bagel sangwich from Fresh, (I wish I could've tasted it, damn you cold) Mutha Vicky picked me up and I headed back home to rest up. Kristen came over and we got ready pretty damn quick (more than usual anyway). Headed down to Next Door for the exclusive VIP party upstairs. We were greeted by the Red Bull girls and Kristen was more than excited to see them. She is obsessed with Red Bull and throughout the whole night was constant dancejogging and shrieking about how much she loved the event and how the DJ was playing her song. Gotta love that girl. 


It was a great event, lots of networking and I had the pleasure of meeting John Garcia of Nonstop Honolulu, other photographers, DJ's Compose & DELVE who would be showcasing the app later in the night. The app itself was difficult for me. I've never spun or played with tables before so I didn't know what the fuck was going on, but it looked very legit to me. Even though they had free drinks all I took was the Red Bull. 


By the end of the night I had 5 Red Bulls in me, Kristen had 5 1/2.


Before heading home, we stopped by the Manifest for Matt Ratt's birthday party. It was really funny, watching everyone's dance moves and listening to people CHEEEEE HUUUU because everyone seemed to be super drunk, super hyper or super delirious (like I was).


Kristen and I stayed up till 6:30AM, tweaking out on the interwebs and uploading our photos. On top of that, there was a huge thunderstorm that kept me awake.






















The next morning, I sent 12 photos to Daniel and he said that he would put it on Contrast's blog. The next thing I got in my email was this



Super excited to work for them and I can't wait to see what else is in store with me. I knew this was gonna be a bad ass summer.

1 comment:

  1. SERIOUSLY the best night of my life ever. Thank you Red Bull for giving me wiiings!

    ReplyDelete